For some people it feels like spring will never come. It’s been a long winter for a lot of people and if you live in Canada or the Northwestern part of the United States you thought it was gone, but it came back with a vengeance this week.
We stared by asking how many times have people mentioned either winter of fall through social channels in the past two weeks. First, the season that everyone hopes to never hear from again, winter. In the past two weeks we found winter mentioned 1.9 million times. Winter is still being talked about in 85,031 blog posts, 173,035 online news articles, 127,810 forum posts and 1,537,737 tweets.
On the other hand, the want for spring became evident when we searched the same time frame for mentions of spring. Here we found that spring has been mentioned 7.3 million times in the past two weeks. Spring has come up in 172,515blog posts, 260,097 online news articles, 183,915 forum postings and 6,743,403 tweets.
That’s quite the difference. When we look at the two side-by-side in a share of voice comparison, spring accounts for 79% of the conversation while winter makes up the remaining 21%.
In fact, when we look at those mentions compared over time, in the last two weeks talk of spring has been constantly dominating over talk of winter. Even on Sunday’s when everyone watches Game of Thrones and feels the need to mention that “winter is coming.”
So, what are people talking about when they talk about spring? Well, according to our buzzgraph it appears that people are hoping for spring to come and winter to go away. There’s a lot of talk around the snow that people have been seeing despite the fact that it should be spring. We also see a lot of calls for “warm” and “warmer” weather.
We’re pretty sure that these conversations in social media are likely representative of how people now talking about the seasons in social media feel as well. So, here’s hoping that everyone gets their spring soon.