Happy new year everyone! Hope your 2013 is already off to an incredible start!
It’s no question that every year social media becomes more previlant in our ever-online society, and nothing shows this more than people using it to talk about big events. And just what one event gets everyone around the world excited to celebrate? Well, New Years of course.
Using MAP, our social media monitoring and analytics software, I searched to see how many times New Years was mentioned in the social space over December 31, 2012 and January 1, 2013. Using the search term “new years” and a few different variations of it (including the popular hashtag “#NYE”) I was able to find over 40.6 million mentions over those two days. There was 258,704 blog posts, 97,161 online news articles, 287,963 forum postings and 40,000,896 tweets.
Seeing as Twitter seemed to be the most popular way for people to spread their new year cheer, I dove a little deeper into what happened on Twitter over these two days. Here I found that Americans were the most vocal about new years on Twitter, accounting for 40.5% of all the tweets we found. I also found that women were more likely to mention new years than men. Women made up 58% of the tweets, while males filled the other 42%. It was also astounding to see that these 40 million new years tweets averaged out to 833,352 tweets per hour over this two day period.
Sticking with Twitter for a few more minutes, I then pulled up a heat map to visualize where these 40 million tweets came from. Here we can see that major world cities seems to have the highest density of tweets. The east coast of North America is flooded with tweets coming from New York, Toronto and other major cities. As well, the west coast sees a huge push around California and Vancouver. It wasn’t just North America making all the noise though. England appears to have a lot of tweets packed into a small space, as does Japan. But really, we can see tweets from across the globe as everyone everywhere celebrated.
The top hashtag used to ring in the new year was “#2013″. A look at the rest of the top 10 hashtags used show that people were generally using Twitter to share good tidings leading into this new year. The only one that I wasn’t sure about was “#savealife”, so if anyone used that on New Year’s Eve and knows why, please feel free to tell us in the comments section below.
Lastly, for my Twitter analysis I pulled up the top four retweeted new years tweets. It was of no surprise to me to see that Justin Bieber’s new year tweet was in there. Although, the Biebs was only number three. I’m not 100% sure who the other three tweets are from, but from the English sound of their names and the number of RT’s they received I’m going to make an educated guess that all three of them are members of One Direction.
Finally, I returned to an overall analysis of social channels to see what people were actually saying. In the word cloud and buzzgraph below we can see words that one would expect to be associated with new years like “midnight,” “resolutions” and “celebration.” But an interesting thing to note in the buzzgraph is that “taxes” and “fiscal” “cliff” was also being associated with all this new years talk. Likely this was from the Americans who had a big announcement about it on the 1st, but I thought it was still an interesting association to find.
Once again, we want to wish you and yours a happy new year from the entire Sysomos team! We’re also interested to know what your social media resolutions are for 2013? Let us know in the comments.