In June 2009, we published an in-depth look at the TwitterSphere. And in the past 18 months, we’ve done a number of other reports looking at the different aspects of Twitter’s growth and activity.
Today, we’re excited about the release of a new report taking a look at how people are using Twitter, and it compares with a year ago. We examined 1.02 billion tweets made by 20.3 million Twitter users. Some of the highlights of the report include:
– 44% of the total Twitter population joined between January 2009 and Aug 2010.
– 82% of Twitter users now provide a name, compared with 33% in 2009.
– 73% provide location information compared with 44% in 2009.
– 63.3% now provide a bio, compared with 31% in 2009.
– 45% of users submit a Web site address, compared with 22% in 2009.
– 80.6% have made fewer than 500 tweets.
– 22.5% have accounted for about 90% of all activity.
– Users with more than 100 friends has increased by three-fold to 21% since 2009.
– Justin Bieber is one of top two-word phrases and top name in user’s bios.